Aurel Schmidt is cool


This is Aurel Schmidt.


Aurel Schmidt makes some pretty cool art. I like it mainly because she always seems to surprise me. When I first saw her work I was drawn by the colors and then upon closer inspection I realized that what I thought I was looking at was not what I thought at all. Eyeballs of beer bottle caps, tears of cigarette butts, ribbons and streams of fish bones and garbage, genitals with butterfly's; it's all quite unexpected and that is what keeps me coming back. Her art is often explicitly sexual in nature, which goes hand in hand (or genital in flower) with the 'expect the unexpected' notion.  Aurel transforms our preconceptions of dirty and grotesque into beautiful, humorous and slightly eerie concoctions that you'll grow to love on second and third glaces as well.

With that said, I thought I'd share some with y'all...

enjoy!
bits

Aurel Schmidt, "The Fall," 2010. pencil, colored pencil, acrylic, beer, dirt, and
blood on paper, 84 x 48 in. Via ARTINFO

Aurel Schmidt, "So Damn Pure," 2008. pencil, colored pencil, beer, blood, pepto-bismol, wine, grape crush, imodium, coffee, kool-aid, listerine, tang, comet, daiquiri mix, spit, acrylic on paper
104 x 159 in. Via tiny vices

 Aurel Schmidt, "Never Change," 2010. pencil, colored pencil, acrylic on paper
13 x 9 in Via tiny vices


Aurel Schmidt, "Peel," 2007. pencil, colored pencil, acrylic on paper
15 x 15 in. Via tiny vices


Aurel Schmidt, "Musk," 2007. pencil, colored pencil on paper
15 x 15 in. Via tiny vices