Butternut Bacon and Sage Bisque

Lately I've been gaining a lot of interest in cooking (especially when friends come over and you can dress the table with pumpkins and candles- Cozy!!), so the other night I decided to make my first attempt at butternut squash and sage bisque with soy bacon (yes everyone, I'm a veggie). I have to say, it turned out pretty tasty and fairly simple to make too! I followed the recipe from this cook book I recently bought called, 'Harvest Recipes from an Organic Farm,' by Christine Stevens, although I did end up adding in some of my own Harvest favorites too. Here's how I did it...

Butternut Bacon and Sage Bisque

Ingredients:
1- medium sized butternut squash
1- quart of vegetable (or chicken) stock
1- handful of chopped sage
1- onion 
1/3 cup of heavy cream
Bacon (real or fake) 
Vermont maple syrup
fresh ground nutmeg
cinnamon
olive oil
salt & pepper

 Preheat your oven to about 350 degrees, peel and de-goop the butternut squash and chop it into small cubes along with the onion. Spread the squash and onion over a baking sheet and lightly coat it with the olive oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper and toss it all so it coats pretty evenly. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile you can fry up your bacon. Once the squash has cooled throw it in a food processor along with the bacon and pulse (or if you're like me, mash it up with a whisk because you don't have enough room in your apartment kitchen for all those fancy appliances). Once you've broken down the squash for the most part, add in your vegetable stock and cream and puree the dickens out of it. Pour the mixture into a saucepan along with the sage and apply heat. 

Ta-da! 

Yummy dinner.